The hint of curry powders adds a wonderful warmth to this delicious soup!
- 1 ½ tablespoon (25 ml) of local Ontario butter
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of curry powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) of diced carrots
- 1 cup (250 ml) of diced celery
- 1 cup (250 ml) of diced peeled potatoes
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of dried red or orange lentils
- 1 cup (250 ml) of chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 ml) of local Ontario milk
- 5 oz (150 g) of Ontario-made jalapeno-flavoured Havarti cubed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of chopped cilantro
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté curry, carrots, potatoes, celery and onions, until onions are softened.
2. Add lentils, broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until lentils are soft, 30-40 minutes.
3. Purée soup in a blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with the Havarti cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings