Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
Here's a fresh and colourful plant-based meal! Bonus: It's a no-cook recipe that's ready in less than 10 minutes!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 head Boston or romaine lettuce
- 1 mango or orange or peach, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. (Or save the bean water - also called aqua faba - for another recipe.)(Use any leftover chickpeas for another salad or stew.)
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, mango / orange, tomatoes and red onion. Toss in cilantro.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Add dressing to the chickpea mixture. Toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the chickpea mixture into a lettuce leaf. You may also add lettuce into the chickpea mixture to make a salad. Enjoy!
Adapted from a recipe by the Canadian Pulse Industry.