BBQ Shredded Tofu Burger
This is a fantastic recipe whether you're new to tofu or have been enjoying tofu for a while. Make sure to use extra-firm tofu for the best texture and results.
- 1 350-400 g block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (e.g. canola oil)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease or line a large baking tray.
- Drain off any excess water from the tofu and pat dry. Use the large side of a cheese grater and grate the tofu into shreds.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, soy sauce, chilli powder, paprika and garlic powder. Add the shredded tofu and gently mix so that the tofu is all coated.
- Spread the tofu in an even layer on the prepared pan. Bake for 28-33 minutes until the tofu is browned. Stir the tofu half-way through cooking.
- Heat the BBQ sauce and water. Stir in the baked tofu. Serve hot on a bun and add your favourite toppings. Or enjoy in tacos or a lettuce wrap. [Recipe is a slight modification from ItDoesn'tTakeLikeChicken.com]