This salad is just bursting with flavours – earthy beets, fresh citrus and peppery arugula! The beets give the quinoa a beautiful red hue! Add feta cheese for an extra hint of creaminess.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups arugula
- 4-5 cooked beets (about 1 lb)*
- 1 orange
- Optional: feta cheese
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
*You can roast, steam or boil beets. Or use packaged, pre-cooked beets.
- Rinse quinoa. Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan on high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Peel and dice beets. Peel orange and remove white pith. Cut each orange segment into thirds or quarters.
In a large serving bowl, combine quinoa and arugula. Gently mix in beets and orange segments. Add dressing and toss lightly. Optional: Sprinkle feta cheese over salad before serving.
Makes 6 servings
I found this fantastic appetizer recipe at myrecipes.com. Just 5 ingredients and takes 10 minutes to make. The taste is out of this world! Definitely a keeper!
1 ripe mango, peeled
1 ½ cups loosely packed arugula
1 package fresh basil
4 very thin slices of prosciutto or ham
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1. Cut mango into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices (about 16 slices in total). Place 1 mango slice on top of 3 arugula leaves and 1 to 2 basil leaves.
2. Cut each prosciutto slice lengthwise into 4 strips. Wrap center of each mango bundle with 1 prosciutto strip. Arrange on a serving platter, and sprinkle with pepper.
To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed. Cover with damp cloth and chill 30 minutes.
Options: You can substitute slices of honeydew, cantaloupe, apple or pear for the mango. If using apple or pear slices, dip them in lemon or lime juice first to prevent them from browning.