This has become one of my go-to dinners when I’m pressed for time. I always have all of the ingredients on hand, including frozen shrimp which I defrost quickly under cold running water as I’m chopping the onion. Thanks to AllRecipes.com for this wonderful recipe!
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 T cornstarch
1 T water
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over medium heat. Sauté onion, red pepper and garlic until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Season with cumin, coriander and curry powder. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in coconut milk, sugar and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.
3. Sir in shrimp, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir until shrimp is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 T water. Stir into shrimp mixture and cook until sauce has thickened. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
5. Serve with your favourite grain.