From health to wellness, here are 7 fun facts about oranges & lemons.
1. Citrus contains flavonoids, a special type of plant chemical that can be beneficial against heart disease and cancer.
2. Just one orange supplies over 100% of your daily quota for vitamin C, not to mention other nutrients such as fibre and potassium.
3. A Meyer lemon is a cross between a mandarin orange and a lemon. Meyer lemons have a bright, thin skin and are sweeter / less acidic than regular lemons.
4. Citrus peel is packed with an essential oil called linalool, which might help relieve stress.
5. Hot water can actually extract flavonoids from the citrus peel. So go ahead and enjoy a cup of hot water with lemon!
– Research from Master Chefs at Johnson Wales University, July 10, 2014.
– Benavente-Garcia O and Castillo J. Update on uses and properties of citrus flavonoids: new findings in anticancer, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory activity. J Agric Food Chem 2008, Aug 13;56(15):6185-6205.
– Xu GH1, Chen JC, Liu DH, Zhang YH, Jiang P, Ye XQ. Minerals, phenolic compounds, and antioxidant capacity of citrus peel extract by hot water. J Food Sci. 2008 Jan;73(1):C11-8.
Disclosure: I was invited to speak at an event featuring citrus fruit, however this is not a sponsored post.