Portobello Mushroom Burgers
A "meaty" tasting burger bursting with flavour. Even my meat-loving husband loves these (although he needs to eat 2 burgers!)
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (or your favourite cheese; optional)
- 4 buns
- Your favourite burger toppings - lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, relish, etc.
- Gently wipe the mushrooms with a mushroom brush. Trim off the stems and save these for a soup, salad or stir-fry. Place mushroom caps in a shallow dish with the gills facing up.
- Mix the olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sugar and spices in a small bowl to make a marinade.
- Brush the marinade along the mushroom gills, and then pour some of the marinade into the mushroom caps. Turn the mushrooms over and pour the remaining marinade on top of the mushrooms. Brush the marinade on mushroom tops.
- Allow mushrooms to marinade 10 minutes. Turn mushrooms over so that gills are facing up again. Use a spoon to scoop the marinade and pour marinade into the mushrooms. Let mushrooms marinade for at least another 20 minutes.
- Cook mushrooms on a heated grill for a few minutes on each side. Or pan fry on medium heat.
- Enjoy your burger with your favourite buns and toppings!
This is a modified version of a recipe created by BudgetBytes.