This salad is just bursting with flavours – earthy beets, fresh citrus and peppery arugula! The beets give the quinoa a beautiful red hue! Add feta cheese for an extra hint of creaminess.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups arugula
- 4-5 cooked beets (about 1 lb)*
- 1 orange
- Optional: feta cheese
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
*You can roast, steam or boil beets. Or use packaged, pre-cooked beets.
- Rinse quinoa. Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan on high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Peel and dice beets. Peel orange and remove white pith. Cut each orange segment into thirds or quarters.
In a large serving bowl, combine quinoa and arugula. Gently mix in beets and orange segments. Add dressing and toss lightly. Optional: Sprinkle feta cheese over salad before serving.
Makes 6 servings