What can you make with one can of chickpeas? A delicious gluten-free chickpea chocolate cake! I raved about this cake in my recent nutrition trends interview on BreakfastTV Toronto. Super easy and tastes amazing!
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T icing sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt chocolate chips for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, set the power at 50%.
3. Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sugar and baking powder. Pulse to blend.
4. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth. Transfer batter to the prepared cake pan.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Recipe Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/149550/garbanzo-bean-chocolate-cake-gluten-free/
Comments/Review: Instead of a food processor, I simply used a Magic Bullet to blend the chickpeas and eggs (half of the chickpeas with 2 eggs at a time). I then poured everything into a large bowl and added the sugar, baking powder and melted chocolate. When I first made this recipe, my then 7 year old daughter declared gleefully, “I’m so lucky. I got the piece of cake without any bean in it!” Fooled her!