You’ll love these delicious dumplings made with ground pork and shrimp. Feel free to substitute the ground pork with any other meat and / or swap the shrimp for meat. Enjoy!
3/4 lb ground pork (or any other ground meat)
8-10 raw, peeled shrimp, diced finely
2 cups spinach or other leafy green veggie, minced
3 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
30-40 dumpling wrappers
oil for cooking
hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, or other dipping sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients (except the dumpling wrappers, oil and dipping sauce) into a big bowl to make the dumpling filling.
- Keep dumpling wrappers covered with a damp towel to prevent the edges from drying out.
- Place about 1 Tbsp of the filling in the centre of a dumpling wrapper. (Don’t overfill the dumplings.)
- Dampen the edges of the wrapper with water.
- Fold the wrapper in half. Start at the middle and pleat half the dumpling. Turn the wrapper around and repeat the pleating. (See video below for the pleating technique.)
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium to high heat. Fry dumplings for a few minutes until they golden brown on the bottom. Flip the dumplings over and fry for another minute.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water into the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Steam the dumplings this way until almost all of the water has evaporated.
- Remove the lid and allow the dumplings to continue cooking until all of the water has evaporated, and the dumplings are dry and crispy on the bottom.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce – hoisin sauce, soy sauce or chili sauce.
Makes 30-40 dumplings